At the 2014 SAP TechEd && d-code Conference in Berlin, we attended the presentation of an automation success story at a large, global chemicals company.
This leading manufacturer – one of the world’s largest – applied automated business process validation with the aim of:
- Ensuring strict regulatory compliance, including support for FDA validation and documentation.
- Managing cross-divisional communication paths and aligning with complex business unit requirements.
- Fulfilling tight testing and execution schedules driven by quarterly releases of software updates to the business.
- Ensuring quality in end-to-end business processes involving a multitude of SAP, non-SAP and legacy applications, such as SAP GUI, UI5, Web Dynpro, HTML, Java, .NET, mainframe, and mobile apps.
Automation technology helped the company overcome organizational barriers, increase quality, and reduce tedious, time-consuming manual testing:
- FDA Compliance. The company achieved database-driven traceability across the lifecycle, and a direct link between software changes and requirements. Worksoft’s software was also used to generate detailed documentation of end-to-end business process test results, including all steps with corresponding screen shots where needed.
- Efficiency and Accuracy. A central test management platform was implemented to setup and execute tests. This included live recording via Worksoft Capture performed by Business Process Owners. This resulted in significant time savings because less coordination was required between IT and business users, and there was much less misinterpretation of the actual business process because of the Capture features.
- Lights-Out Capability. Automated test cases are run overnight and on weekends for greater coverage and improved quality.
- Easy Access for Business Users. There is reduced automation effort because the business process is captured directly by business users. And maintenance effort is reduced when there are software changes due to the simple user interface design – no scripting is required!
- Higher Quality and Greater Coverage. With automation, the company is able to more quickly detect errors due to integration and the interplay of different technologies. The capture, execution and documentation of the full end-to-end business process makes it possible.
To learn more about how the company achieved these results with Worksoft Certify®, see the full case study presentation here: