In 2014, one of North America’s top three global telecommunications companies had enormous success with automated business process validation. The company has more than 100,000 employees in over 50 countries, including multiple storefront, manufacturing, and distribution sites. Their business systems are complex, with significant integration between SAP®, third party, and in-house applications.
The main objective of this global IT project was to consolidate and streamline the company’s enterprise systems:
- Consolidate. Bring all non-wireless ERP business processes into a single instance of SAP as the mandatory go-forward solution for the company. This included SAP ECC 6.0, SRM, BW, and legacy systems, including the following components: FICO, SD, MM, WM, PP-PI, project systems, asset management, and business intelligence.
- Maintain High Quality Execution. Make sure that the company’s highly successful business operations were not impacted during the consolidation.
- Streamline. Increase the efficiency of more than 125 QA personnel positioned globally, who ensure quality for more than 160 end-to-end business processes with more than 500 process variations across the globe.
With automation, this telecom company was able to dramatically accelerate the project and at the same time improve quality during the consolidation:
- 95% Time Savings. The overall test execution time for each end-to-end scenario was reduced by 95.6%, from 35 hours to 1.5 hours, even as the number of data variants considered per scenario was increased. The validation of 45% of their business processes was automated, reducing the testing cycle time of 70 core end-to-end processes by 35%.
- On-Time, As-Planned Project Execution. During the consolidation, business operations remained highly successful. The benefits are being realized, and this project has laid the foundation for future work in functional test automation for the company.
- Significant Cost Savings. Because the automation technology was easy-to-use and scriptless, the need for test script programming specialists was eliminated. The existing functional team was able to develop the automation scenarios directly.
- Early Defect Detection. With Worksoft, automation could be applied early in the project, which identified problems sooner and reduced the cost and risk inherent in late defect detection.
- Strong Management Support. Management firmly supported adherence to the use of Worksoft Certify® and a proven implementation methodology supported by IBM, a large system integrator.
- An Innovation Mindset. The company had the willingness to change and establish a Testing Center of Excellence (TCOE) to support the enterprise.
- Because of this commitment, there was quick adoption, broad team training, and strong ownership of the work and the outcomes.
To learn more about how your company can achieve these results, please contact us. For more facts and figures, see the recent report from the industry analyst firm IDC here.Icons made by Freepik from www.flaticon.com is licensed by CC BY 3.0