Migration of QTP Scripts to Worksoft Certify
Companies that invest in test automation tools are already a step ahead of most of their competitors. They understand the value of quality assurance, and the value that automation can bring. Companies that made the initial investment several years ago adopted first generation tools that were script-based – tools that can only take them so far. Today, many of these innovative companies are moving to Worksoft Certify® – the market leading solution for automated, end-to-end business process testing. This paper describes how Worksoft supports SAP® customers in the migration from QTP scripts to Worksoft Certify for business process testing.
Historically, companies interested in software quality assurance for enterprise systems adopted methodologies and tools used for testing software in the software development space. While this approach worked initially, IT project managers quickly discovered several challenges:
- Systems designed for simple automated regression testing of custom software, such as QTP, generate test scripts that are highly fragile when the underlying systems change. When systems change, scripts break and repairing them is both costly and time consuming.
- Business process testing for enterprise systems requires the involvement of business users, yet legacy tools such as QTP require people with programming skills. Very few business subject matter experts are also visual basic programmers, so this creates costly resource issues
- Modern, multi-system, end-to-end business processes are nearly impossible to test in an automated fashion using these legacy tools.
Global enterprises are turning to Worksoft solutions that offer true cross-platform, highly automated, end-to-end testing of complex business processes. Worksoft offers companies a way to build on their existing investment in automation technology, and smoothly transition from legacy testing software to a complete business process validation solution. To help make this transition, Worksoft provides SAP customers with migration software and a proven approach to help IT teams migrate their existing QTP assets into Worksoft Certify. This capability is supported by HP Quality Center integration and has successfully been used by many leading firms stepping up to Worksoft.
Two Common Approaches
Companies looking to migrate from QTP to Worksoft Certify typically consider two strategies:
- Convert existing QTP assets into Worksoft Certify end-to-end business process tests. For SAP® GUI transactions, Worksoft Certify automatically converts existing QTP scripts directly into Worksoft test assets. Worksoft’s Certify Capture technology allows business process information to be collected by simply walking through the business process that needs to be captured. The same functionality is used to capture QTP test executions which are then stored in a central repository as Worksoft Certify test scenarios. This information is then used to build functional and performance tests, create training and compliance documentation, and perform repetitive production tasks in an automated fashion.
- Leave existing tests in QTP and build new end-to-end business process test assets in Worksoft Certify. Customers can use a combination of test assets stored in QTP and those created in Worksoft Certify. Certify processes are exposed in HP Quality Center, allowing QTP and Worksoft Certify assets to co-exist. Over time, as QTP tests break, become difficult to maintain or become outdated, they are easily migrated to Worksoft Certify as flexible and resilient Worksoft test assets.
So whether you choose to make the shift to Worksoft all at once or more gradually, migrating to Worksoft Certify from QTP is simple and seamless. Continue to leverage your past investment in QTP and at the same time count on Worksoft to help you achieve the industry’s highest levels of automation that drive cost savings, staff efficiency, and quality assurance across your enterprise systems.
U.S. Government Agency
A large U.S. Government agency had an existing testing approach and was in the process of moving to Worksoft Certify. With the unique functionality offered by Worksoft, this organization has been able to convert nearly all of their 2,500+ QTP scripts to Worksoft Certify tests. By combining the single-transaction QTP scripts into end-to-end business processes, those 2,500+ QTP scripts were reduced to approximately 300 Certify business processes that can now be tested repeatedly in an automated fashion. Testing that once took weeks to execute can now be completed in a matter of hours. The successful conversion is giving the agency more complete testing coverage and validation that critical processes are being executed correctly.
Ensuring quality execution of business processes across the enterprise is a challenge most organizations must tackle for success. Doing so is increasingly difficult because of the speed of technology changes, growing demands on systems, and the complexity typical of enterprise SAP landscapes. Your business depends on business process quality and the integrity of its critical transactions. The failure of enterprise systems costs time and money, and brings with it the risk of business disruption.
Test automation has come a long way. First generation script-based automation tools have proven fragile and unable to keep up with high change environments. Modern solutions like Worksoft Certify are specifically designed to address these problems and support the unique requirements of SAP systems and SAP customers. Worksoft Certify is able to do this for four specific reasons:
- Simplicity – It’s designed to be simple enough to be used by business SMEs yet offers the sophistication for even the most advanced IT users. No scripting and no programming required.
- Speed – It delivers results in a matter of days and weeks, thus delivering a rapid return and motivating teams to continue to do more. This also shortens project timelines.
- Resilience – Worksoft tests continue to work, even as enterprise applications and business processes change. This reduces maintenance costs and improves quality.
- Completeness – It comprehensively covers all SAP and non-SAP applications and interfaces that are typically present in any modern SAP landscape. This means that true end-to-end business process test automation can be achieved with Worksoft Certify.
Worksoft Certify makes it easy for companies with prior investments in QTP to leverage that investment as they move to the industry’s leading solution for high-velocity business process testing.
Product Comparison Worksoft
|Product Comparison||Worksoft Certify||Legacy Solution|
|Requires programming skills|
|Script-based, requiring expensive maintenance|
|Requires extensive re-work when application
changes cause existing scripts to break
|Easy to use, efficient for business users
Resilient to changes in SAP and non-SAP
|Enables true end-to-end business process
validation, including all apps and interfaces
|A culture of continuous innovation, product
investment, and technology leadership
|Enables high levels of automation – greater
than 80% of critical business processes
|Designed for SAP and the entire ecosystem of
|Minimizes technology risk, even as you deploy
more technology faster, improve quality, and