End-to-End Automated Testing with SAP Solution Manager 7.1 & Worksoft Certify® at Global Consumer Products Company
A major consumer products company recently turned to Worksoft for help with end-to-end test automation. This global manufacturer operates on an SAP infrastructure that includes ERP, CRM, BI and many other SAP applications and platforms. In addition, Solution Manager is extensively used to manage the SAP systems as part of the overall governance model.
The primary goal of the project was to validate an end-to-end testing framework that included impact analysis and test management components from SAP Solution Manager coupled with test automation provided by Worksoft Certify®
To achieve project objectives, a set of end-to-end supply, demand and finance test processes were automated using Worksoft Certify. The automated tests were then integrated into the Solution Manager Business Blueprint hierarchy with testing scenarios that included:
- Test execution directly from the business blueprint
- Test scheduling for lights out execution
- Using Business Process Change Analyzer (BPCA) to determine test scope for risk based test planning and execution
- Using automated test repair workflows to fix damaged tests
- Passing information about systems under test as well as test data between Solution Manager and Worksoft Certify using System Data Container (SDC) and Test Data Container (TDC)
All of the functionality defined above was to be configured and tested over a two week period. This also included the time required to construct automated tests for representative end-to-end business processes, including test data.
Project Set Up
Figure 1 below shows the Solution Manager 7.1 and Worksoft Certify components used in the project.
The Solution Manager 7.1 system, in turn, was connected to ERP and CRM systems where automated tests were constructed and executed using various scenarios outlined in the project scope.
Figure 1: System components used in the project.
- Consumer Goods Company: Governance Team & Global Shared Services Organization (GSSO) Analysts
- Worksoft: Professional Services Organization, Engineering Organization
The table below shows end-to-end business processes that were automated using Worksoft Certify. The organization achieved an average time savings of 90%+ over manual processes when tests were executed with automation. Extrapolating savings over a larger set of core business processes, and multiplying by the number of times a given process is tested, yields a compelling return on investment (ROI).
|Function||Processes||Transactions||Steps||Manual Test Time||Worksoft Automated Test Time||Savings|
|ChaRM||Creation of SM||Znotif create||32||20 min.||90 sec.||92.5%|
|ChaRM||Display of SM||Zmonitor||15||20 min.||45 sec.||98.25%|
|Demand||SO Create, Change, Credit Release, Delivery, Invoice||VA01, VA02, VKM3, VL01N, VF01||202||30 min.||4.5 min.||85%|
|FICO||Product Costing||OKKS, CK11N, CK24, CK13N, KP27, GR55, KKS5||116||25 min.||3.5 min.||86%|
|Supply||Purchase Order, Goods Receipt||ME21N, MIGO||72||30 min.||2.5 min.||91.6%|
In addition to creating and running automated tests from Worksoft Certify, complex scenarios including Solution Manager 7.1 and Worksoft Certify were successfully executed. These scenarios included:
- Automating TBOM creation and maintenance using Worksoft Certify automated tests
- Running BPCA analysis and executing automated tests based on results
- Modifying tests directly from Solution Manager
- Using System and Test Data Containers to pass information from Solution Manager to Worksoft Certify
- Scheduling automated tests for lights out execution
A key member of the testing team notes “We are very excited about the opportunity this presents to us in regards to expediting our application development lifecycle while providing cost savings. By integrating Worksoft Certify with SAP Solution Manager 7.1, we are able to leverage our existing investment in Solution Manager with the latest test automation technology.”
The consumer good company plans to construct a detailed corporate-wide ROI analysis based on the results of this project; expand to critical transactions in a single landscape to develop global best practices; and then roll out the solution across the organization.
Worksoft and Worksoft Certify are registered trademarks of Worksoft, Inc. All other trademarks and names are property of their respective owners.