Bi-Modal and Hybrid IT: The New Enterprise Application Reality
The term DevOps is well understood in the context of typical Agile software development lifecycles. Organizations are combining containerization, release automation and continuous integration platforms to build continuous delivery pipelines that deliver new functionality faster with better quality and less risk. However, with greater speed comes greater risks, so companies have been slow to adopt DevOps and Agile on the enterprise application side of the organization.
It’s true DevOps adoption does not happen overnight. Cultural changes must occur, silos must be broken down and teams must learn new tools and processes. The business will need to adjust schedules to review features as they are being delivered vs during scheduled reviews. Bi-modal and hybrid IT is the new reality in the enterprise application space. Project teams are adopting DevOps to create new applications and make customizations to enterprise systems in parallel with teams leveraging waterfall who must ensure that these new additions fit seamlessly in the overall enterprise application landscape.
Worksoft understands the nuances of adopting DevOps in enterprise application environments and provides tools and solutions that enable clients to safely transition to this new methodology with speed and at massive scale.
The bimodal model is correct that a different set of expectations and approaches is probably necessary for IT to respond to this demand, but it does not address the fundamental and enormous change in technology and process required to deliver Type 2 applications. Stated straightforwardly, Type 2 IT is a DevOps world, and it will require new tools and processes.What Gartner’s Bimodal IT Model Means to Enterprise CIOsCIO Bernard Golden
Not Your Custom Applications Software Delivery Lifecycle (SDLC)
The SDLC for implementing and managing custom applications is different than that used by custom applications. The focus of packaged applications is on process. The business maintains an architectural role in how processes need to work. IT is responsible for customizations, configurations, and availability.
Image: SDLC Custom Built Applications vs. Packaged Applications
Learn more about why DevOps and Agile are different for SAP by watching Agile SAP Change Management
The Clear Choice for DevOps Testing for Enterprise Applications
DevOps for enterprise packaged applications like SAP requires more involvement from the business than custom built applications. Business-driven automation is the key to executing this approach efficiently and effectively. Worksoft offers the only continuous test automation platform built to fulfill the needs of large enterprises who must test mission critical business processes across multiple applications and systems. SAP uses Worksoft to test SAP. The world’s top SI’s – Accenture, IBM, Cognizant – as well as the three of the top four most valuable US tech firms have chosen Worksoft as their preferred test automation platform for large enterprise application transformations.
Worksoft supports DevOps Testing by:
- Transforming the way business analysts, developers and testing teams collaborate by automating business process documentation and enabling them to visualize end-to-end business processes, identify variations, assess risks and optimize testing plans.
- Breaking down traditional silos between business analysts, developers and testers by providing a testing framework that can not only create new automated tests but also consume tests built by business analysts or software developers and run them as end-to-end business process tests for packaged applications with enterprise level controls and reporting.
- Creating risk-based continuous testing pipelinesthat feed into large enterprise application production environments, running millions of business process steps across hundreds of cloud machines to deliver the scale necessary to run complex businesses.
- Integrating UI and end-to-end testing into the CI pipeline and scheduling continuous testing removing the need for 100’s of hours of manual test case execution.
- Providing Robust Integrations with 3rd Party Solutions that enable companies to choose the tools best suited to their organization and easily manage tasks across the DevOps release cycle.
Core Benefits of Worksoft’s Approach to DevOps
Test as applications are being built and throughout the dev process to ensure quality before deployment
Continuously validate business processes are working as designed across all applications
Improve productivity without recreating test scenarios every time something changes
Support IT and business collaboration with solutions that are easy to use, offer an intuitive graphical interface, and require no coding
The SAP DevOps Testing Partner of Choice for Accenture Internally and Externally
Recognizing Worksoft as the global leader in DevOps testing for SAP, leading SIs have embedded Worksoft into their SAP change management practices. In addition to leveraging Worksoft as part of the Accenture Intelligent Enterprise Platform (AIEP) that was launched at SAP SAPPHIRE NOW 2018 and Accenture DevOps Platform (ADOP), Accenture also leveraged Worksoft for their own internal move to S/4HANA. Leveraging Worksoft they were able to automate 80% of tests and make more changes faster.